Piton Saint-Leu is 5 km away from the centre of Saint-Leu, 2 km from the ocean shore and at an altitude of 270 m. There are a town hall annex, a post office, two banks and three ATMs, several shops, a supermarket (Casino), a superstore (E.Leclerc), two petrol stations, garages and pharmacies. You will also find several doctors, dentists, nurses, physiotherapists, osteopaths, radiologists… Several restaurants offer Creole dishes on the spot or to take away, pizzas or semi-gourmet cuisine.
The currency is euro (€), since Reunion as a French overseas department and a region belongs to the European Union.
No vaccination is obligatory to come to Reunion. Tourists coming from a country affected by malaria may be contacted by the local health services during their stay.
Car and bike rental
In Saint-Leu it is possible to rent a car, van, motorbike, scooter, mountain bike and even a surfboard! All the well-known rental agencies are on the island and a lot of local ones too. Don’t hesitate to contact us if you wish to obtain their contact details.
- + 2 h (in summer) / + 3 h (in winter) with France, Germany, Italy, Spain …
- + 3 h (in summer) / + 4 h (in winter) with Great Britain
- + 8 h (in summer) / + 9 h (in winter) with Québec
- + 2 h with South Africa
- + 1 h with Madagascar
- – 4 h with Perth
- – 6 h (in winter) / – 7 h (in summer) with Sydney
- – 4 h with Singapore
- – 1 h 30 with India
No time difference with Mauritius
Reunion has 2 international airports:
- Roland Garros airport in the north near Saint-Denis: flights to / from France, Mauritius (flight time: 20 min), Madagascar, South Africa, Comoros, Mayotte and Seychelles.
- Pierrefonds airport in the south-west between Saint-Louis and Saint-Pierre, 22 km from Piton Saint-Leu: flights to / from France and Mauritius (flight time: 45 min).
To come to Reunion it could be more interesting to fly with another European company via Johannesburg or Mauritius.
Through a holiday programme combining Mauritius and Reunion you have the possibility to discover the two neighbouring islands (200 km apart) that are very different from and yet complementary to each other.
From Roland Garros airport, take the shuttle to the bus station in Saint-Denis, then car jaune 02 (literally: yellow bus) to Saint-Pierre and alight at Mairie de Saint-Leu. From there, take car jaune S4 to Saint-Pierre (par les hauts) and get off at Chemin A. Hoareau. From there, walk about 150 m downhill to the Lataniers which will be on your left.
From Pierrefonds airport take the shuttle to the bus station in Saint-Pierre, then car jaune S4 to Saint-Paul (par les hauts). Alight at Chemin A. Hoareau, then walk about 150 m downhill to the Lataniers which will be on your left.
To consult the bus timetables please visit: www.carjaune.re.